The intersection of Violations of University Policy and Criminal Activity on Campus

Violations of University Policy in Washington

When you are accused of violating University or College Policy in Washington, there are often collateral consequences one must be aware of. First, discuss your case with no one at the university, the police, or friends. Second, you may want to consult the best criminal defense attorney to determine whether the violation could be deemed to be criminal in nature or not. If so, you need to be careful about making statements to the University or anyone else for that matter, especially regarding Violations of University Policy in Washington. This is especially important if there exists a high potential for criminal charges. Just because you have not been charged with a crime currently, nothing prohibits the police from charging you later. They could very well use your statements made in the university administrative context against you to support criminal charges later. It may also be important to not make any statements to the University altogether, depending on the circumstances of your case. You have the right to remain silent – use it.

It is important to realize that the University process is separate from any criminal proceedings. In a criminal case, you may be facing a conviction and with it a sentence of jail. At the University administrative level, you could face a multitude of various sanctions, up to and including expulsion. Even if you have already graduated, a university also has the power to withhold your degree. You will still be responsible for your student loans and you may have wasted years trying to obtain a college education.

The Law Office of Erin Bradley McAleer primarily focuses on criminal matters but also handles University-level administrative matters from the allegation’s inception, through the investigative process, and to resolution, which may include a full-fledged administrative hearing that lasts several days. Because of our experience handling these types of cases, our firm is in a unique position to handle these types of concerns.  Contact us today at 360-334-6277 to discuss your case.