traffic infractions

What kind of Traffic infractions did you receive in Washington?

There are 2 main types of licenses; Commercial Driver’s License(CDL), and non-Commercial Driver’s license(non-CDL). A CDL is typically used for when you are driving a commercial vehicle such as semi-trucks, vehicles carrying 16 passengers or more, or vehicles carrying hazardous materials. CDL infractions are typically more serious in nature, so it is important to understand what to do depending on the type license the infraction is on. Whether you’re facing CDL or non-CDL traffic infractions in Washington, knowing the appropriate steps to take is crucial for a favorable outcome.

Where did you receive the infraction? Why does this matter?

Knowing where you received your infraction is also important as it determines what county or court will take care of your infraction along with costs, and what lawyers can pick up your case. The jurisdiction of your citation can be located on the citation itself and the citation will list which Court jurisdiction it falls under and the address of the court.

Know when your first court date is.

It is important to identify what the date for the hearing for your infraction is, and there is also a limited time to respond which is usually 30 days for a non-commercial license. You have the option of challenging the facts in a contested hearing, in which case it is highly recommended you have a lawyer representing you. If you do not contest the hearing you will most likely be penalized for the infraction that you have received. You can draw on our attorney’s experience in order to provide you the best path forward when dealing with a traffic infraction.

What happens if I miss my hearing of Traffic infractions in Washington?

Missing this hearing can be detrimental as it automatically commits and you are found guilty, meaning that you will be fined and are expected to pay the fine in full. This infraction will also end up being on your driver’s record as well, which may increase your insurance premiums as long as it stays on your driving record, which usually is 3-5 years.

What are moving infractions vs. non-moving infractions?

Infractions can be acquired for a number of reasons and there are generally two types of traffic infractions; moving infraction and non-moving infraction. Some of the most common moving infractions include speeding, failing to yield or stop, cell phone distraction, and improper lane changes. Non-moving infractions can include improper seat-belt, expired vehicle registration, malfunctioning equipment(ex. broken taillight), and parking citations. It is also important to note that all traffic infractions are strict liability, which means that you can be convicted of an infraction regardless of intention. Whether or not you know that your speeding is irrelevant to the officer creating the citation. Defenses tend to be technical in nature, so it requires a skilled approach from an experienced attorney. The attorneys at the Law Office of Erin Bradley McAleer deal with both moving and non moving infractions on a daily basis, and have a high success rate as well.

CDL Infractions and Consequences.

Typical CDL infractions include, but are not limited to, weigh-in-motion infractions, overweight tickets, failure to obey traffic control devices, and use of electronic devices. Depending on where your license is from it can result in points on your license, heavy fines, higher insurance rates, chance of the insurance company dropping you, and you can even lose your CDL. It is important to retain a lawyer on these infractions as it can save you money, time, and your license as well.

Traffic Infraction Outcomes in Washington

If you do not hire an attorney you will most likely be handed a penalty for the infraction that you have received. These can include a fine, traffic school, and demerit points on your driving record. While hiring an attorney will not guarantee that you won’t be penalized, it greatly reduces the chance you will have to deal with any.